Monday, July 2, 2018

The Legend of the Three Caballeros, Episode Three: "Pyramid-Life Crisis"


Well, hello there! Time for more caballeros! At the end of the last episode, Donald had gotten tangled up with this flying bat mummy creature and was being dragged away through the air; at the beginning of this one, Zandra just shoots away the rope and he's saved HURRAH! The bit where José and Panchito can only find spiky things to break his fall is kind of funny.

Anyway, they go to chase after the thing, which is a minion of the bad guys. I haven't really said anything about the villains, because honestly I don't find them very interesting, but there's their neighbor Count Sheldgoose (sp?) and Lord Felldrake (sp?), a sentient snake staff who's the one who imprisoned Zandra back in the day. La. I find them pretty generically villainous, although I guess Sheldgoose's terror of his new boss has the potential to be amusing.

Right. Long story short, they can travel to different places using a magic map, which may be the most videogamey thing I've ever seen in a TV show, and which will clearly provide the jumping-off point for future episodes. So they chase the villains to Egypt (I like the way José give their water to the unrealistically-dehydrated camels) and there's some Chariot-of-the-Gods stuff where the pyramids are actually space ships so they go the the moon and fight "astro-mummies" and Felldrake's mecha suited army. Panchito has a secret luchador identity, which is definitely...something. April May and June actually help out a bit this time by decoding ancient writing, but my impression is that they're destined to basically play a background role, which I suppose is okay. The show IS called "The Three Caballeros," after all. Oh, and there's a mummy flight attendant who is perhaps needlessly grotesque.

To be honest, I found this one a bit boring. There's nothing glaringly wrong with it, I guess, but, I dunno, it felt kind of bland and uninteresting to me. I am still curious as to what the future will hold, however.

As you know if you've been looking, the series continues to leak online in a gratifyingly brisk manner. Predictably, Disney has flexed their power to get some of it pulled, but given how predictable that was, I've been sneakily downloading the episodes as they find them, so we should be good. I have up through nine right now. If you have later ones, hit me. I feel confident that we will be able to get through the whole thing in short order.

5 comments:

  1. Also, is this the first episode to feature opening credits/theme music, or did the uploaders of the first two just edit it out for whatever reason?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mention on the forum von Däniken would be proud with this one.

    While I enjoy humor in this chapter, story-wise it did felt like they are still establishing the series premise - go to new location, foil villians plans. Things go from good to great with episode 6, 7 and 8. Trust me ;) Even the chemistry between Sheldgooose and his new master get's very funny and things aren't as formulaic as one would expect.

    My favorite line here is when Donald looks at ancient hieroglyphs and react "What's this?! Italian?"

    I also find this show candy for my eyes. I was geting seriously bored with all post-"Adventure Time" cartoons that are toping each other in trying to be stylised/simplefired (the other new Disney show "Big City Greens" is honestly unwatchable by my personal sence of aesthetics). This just feels like shows I grow up with like Gummi Bears or (well) the oryginal Duck Tales. Even if this will only get one season (and I hope it will get more) I still hope they will produce more stuff this good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This episode and the next were less interesting to me, but episodes 5, 6 and 8 have a lot more going for them. There's great stuff to come! And as Pan says, everything looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Baron Von Sheldgoose, but otherwise you got the spellings right.

    Concerning the magical book, I don't think it's video-gamey at all; someone pointed out on the Forum (and in hindsight it's very obviously true) that it's yet another random element of the original film reimagined for their narrative purposes. Remember how Donald and José travel to different parts of Latin America by jumping into an oversized picture/pop-up book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Achille: GeoX wasn't saying that the *book* was video-gamey, he was saying that the magical *map* on the wall was video-gamey. The one that lights up to show them where the villains are.

    ReplyDelete