Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Legend of the Three Caballeros, Episode Nine: "Mexico a Go-Go"


So according to conspiracy-theory-AMJ, "the Sheldgoose family line has a dark connection to every major disaster in history!" OMG. To illustrate this, they have pictures of: the Titanic sinking (it could be any ship, really, but the Titanic just seems like the best-known "major disaster), a mushroom cloud, a radiation warning (this shit could get REALLY dark if you went into more detail), a plane going down, a tidal wave about to hit a lighthouse, and...a thumbs-down sign? Okay! Anyway. So that is that.

Then! Off to Mexico for adventures. It's honestly not hugely clear what these goings-on have to do with the larger Felldrake plot stuff, but that's okay: fun's fun. The Mexican/Aztec chickens see Panchito as the incarnation of a god, or words to that effect, so they treat him all royally and stuff...BUT! Is there a dark side to all this? Impossible to say! There's a sexy lady parrot to distract Jose (certainly in-character) and a sexy human dude to distract Xandra. As for Donald, he's concocted a scheme with AMJ whereby he can go on a date with Daisy by having one of them standing on another's shoulders kids-trying-to-get-into-R-rated-movie-style, using the mirror. This makes Daisy look dumber than is probably reasonable, it's true (and the idea that she "never made the connection before" between her name and actual daisies--hoo boy), but this is a kind of humor that, though obvious, I can't help finding hilarious every damn time. So anyway, that's what he's doing, or trying to do.

Turns out Panchito, as a representative of Life, has to battle Sheldgoose as a representative of Death ("Well idiot, I don't see how you have a chance. That's my pep talk. Go get 'im," is Felldrake's inspirational speech). And, naturally, the luchador thing comes back. Though I have to say, I thought luchadors were supposed to hide their identities, or at least make some pretense in that direction--Panchito doesn't, even a tiny bit.

Well, it's all fun and games, but then it turns out that Sexy Dude was Death and Sexy Parrot was Life the whole time! It's genuinely creepy when they unmask, but it is wholly unclear to me what the purpose of this charade was in the first place it it's all fake, and it is further unclear to me why Life is declared to have "won" this...thing.

Still, it's bright and shiny with a fun cliffhanger. Not gonna lie: I'm still not seeing what you people saw in the last episode, but this one is back on track.

4 comments:

  1. I assumed we weren't supposed to believe Daisy's comment about daisies--she's just being nice to her date.

    Things I liked about this episode: the fact that the magical Mexican realm is peopled by chickens, thus showing Panchito's indigenous roots. No, I don't mean that all that seriously, but I did like the chicken connection. I assume that if they went to a magical precolonial Brazilian realm, everyone would be parrots. Would you say that the priestess is inspired by Clara Cluck?

    I also liked the fact that Felldrake was reading Panchito's unauthorized biography during the match.

    Xandra kept expressing my feelings: This doesn't make any sense! And I agree with you, I'm not sure it does. Why are Felldrake/Sheldgoose caught up in this? Felldrake wouldn't have knowingly wanted S. to be the champion of Death because he doesn't think S. will win. So I suppose Sheldgoose is just chosen unawares, like Panchito, because he and Felldrake are a force for evil/destruction? Couldn't Death have found some more competent fighter? And yes, why does Death say Life won in the end?

    I sort of think the only real reason for this story is to get the Caballeros into the Underworld, because they had cool ideas about what would happen there (as indeed they did!). And they set it in Mexico to be able to foreground Panchito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presumably Life is the winner by default of the fact that until Death intervenes to deal out punishment, both contestants are left alive.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yhe, Felldrakes "pep talk" and him reading Panchito's biography made me laugh as well.

    I like this episode a lot but not as much as the previews one.

    I realy, like when they shown Xandra having a crush and acting all akward. I think I mention this before on this blog but I love the fact that they have a cool character like this but whenever they gave her flaws there are as over the top as the guy's and (aside from the fact they are always super funny) it makes her very human/relatable. I think character like her "a cool badass heroine who is the voice of the reason/straight man to funny animal antics and... well, a literal godess" would be way to easy to make boring/stand out from the rest of the cast personality wise. Here they are making a great job of making her silly whenever they want and it dosen't undercut her badass side in anyway. Your learning Disney! Your learning... NOW GO FIX RAY IN STAR WARS AND MOST OF FEMALE SUPER HEROINES IN MARVEL!!! (sorry... personal rant)

    ReplyDelete