Friday, July 6, 2018

Legend of the Three Caballeros, Episode Four: "World Tree Caballeros"


So is that title a pun I'm not quite getting, or is it REALLY as trivial as "There's a World Tree and 'tree' sounds kind of like 'three?'" Can't say I'm overly impressed by that, guys!

Well, it's not a super-impressive episode, though I guess I'll take it over the last one. The idea is that Felldrake can't access the caballeros' house, so he needs to get special power, and I wonder: why can't he just send Sheldgoose? He was able to go in before. I don't get it. But, he can't, so instead he has to go to this world tree in Italy, where there are Roman gods. PRETTY sure you're thinking of Norse mythology here, guys. Or a number of others, but definitely not Roman. Weird.

Anyway, caballeros go after them, and Zandra fangirls out over the gods, only to find that they're old now. Well, Jupiter Venus and Mars, at least; no other are featured. Anyway. It's necessary to get them back into fighting spirit, which she does with the help of platitudes from April May and June. And...the good guys win. Sorry for the spoiler.

Well, there were some things I liked: I liked that it opened with the caballeros having a popcorn fight and Zandra knocking down the chandelier. I liked the way Italy outside the plane window had the word "Italy" emblazoned upon it. I liked "We're not birds! It's not like we can fly!" And then this exchange:

Donald: I'm freezing my tail off!
Panchito: That's because you don't wear pants!
Jose: Hey! Do not knock it until you try it, my friend!

It's a good point. But overall, again, I was pretty lukewarm about this one. We shall see what happens next. Obviously.

8 comments:

  1. Nice observation GeoX. Sheldgoose will figure out he can go in on his own in a future episode.

    Yhe, this is propably my least varoite episode, however Xandra geeking out like a teen was best part for me. Again, things go from ok to "WOW! This is best Disney show in years" post episode 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, GeoX, I feel like I gotta tell you: it's spelled Xandra.

    Italy (and other locations) having their names emblazoned upon themselves, visible from the sky, is a borrowing from the original two Caballero flicks, and it is actually consistently used whenever the characters go globe-trotting; you could already see it with Crete in the second episode, and with New Quackmore and Duckburg in the first for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best things about this episode: (1) the popcorn fight; (2) the design of the world tree with its baby planets and all. I really liked the look of it.

    This will not be the last time LTC mixes mythologies. Just you wite, 'Enry 'Iggins!

    Ancient gods presented as vaguely superish humans are really almost always boring to me, whether here in LTC, in DuckTales, in Star Trek, in Duck or non-Duck comics, even in Barks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mythic Mystery"--though, OK, they're not the *actual* gods, they were just mistaken for the (imaginary?) gods. Whatever: they're boring. Also, Barks intentionally threw together Norse and Roman gods, so he was mixing mythologies, too.

      Delete
  4. I think "World Tree Caballeros" is a pun on "We're Three Caballeros," the opening to the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a great pun, but I think they're actually going for bad puns with some of these titles.

      Delete
    2. Oh! I think you're right! Certainly wouldn't have gotten that on my own. But now I know that the pun is both better and worse than I had realized....

      Delete