Friday, October 28, 2011

Darkwing Duck, Season One, Episode Eight: "Duck Blind"

Here's Megavolt. I knew there was a villain by that name, but I didn't know anything else about him. I always pictured a robot guy with a giant lightbulb for a head blasting lighting bolts every which-way, like some kinda Megaman robot. Why is that?

Anyway, no, he's nothing like that. He's a dog guy with an electrical plug on his head, a socket on his chest, and a battery pack on his back. And, while I know I've described a lot of villains on this show as crazy or deranged or words to that effect, there are different sorts of crazy, and this is the first guy who really feels like he's genuinely not all there. It's a lot of fun, and the way he sounds alternately frustrated, pleading, and gleeful really sells it.

Anyway, Darkwing fights him a few times, and--although I'd go so far as to say he's the best villain thusfar--there's a bit of a pro forma quality to these fights. There's not a lot of preamble, and you can't help thinking, man. This is gonna be the whole episode? There's a thing with Darkwing being blinded by Megavolt's light, which is more cool conceptually than in practice, and I feel like his crisis of confidence where he decides that since he can't see he can't fight crime anymore could really have been played for a bit more pathos than it actually is. I do, however, like the casual way he describes how he would go about finding Megavolt again, if he were still doing that sort of thing. And I'm absolutely up for plenty more of this guy in the future.

Stray Observations

-"Just find me a robbery! A jaywalker! A stockbroker! Any crook'll do!" I like this train of thought. Drake Mallard is the ninety-nine percent!

-All we get of the villain's origin: "Megavolt is afraid of me! I sent him to the electric chair! Twice!" That's kinda dark, but it's not the first time this show has shown itself to be capable of going a bit further in that direction than Ducktales.

-"You couldn't have! Blast you...you're handicapped!" Does this sound like dialogue from a really unsubtle sensitivity-training video, or what?

1 comment:

  1. You're going to get a hell of a lot more Megavolt. He's the most frequently seen villain on the show. He's a lot of fun and definitely my favorite Darkwing villain. His origin (btw) is explained much later in the series, during the second ABC season.

    ReplyDelete