Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Legend of the Three Caballeros, Episode Two: "Labyrinth and Repeat"


The one obvious thing that I should've mentioned last time: whatever else you want to say about this show compared to New Ducktales, my goodness it LOOKS so much better. I mean, good on them for trying a new look with Ducktales, I guess, but the results...ain't great. I really, really appreciate the traditional look on display here, and also just how...non-ironic it is, mostly. April May and June (who again play a very small role here) add a little of that millennial feel, but not, so far, an intolerable amount. Their character designs look very Quack-Pack-esque, but thankfully, they are nothing like the nephews in that show. We'll see what role they actually serve, but there is definitely something to be said for having female characters like this at all. It would've been easy to just put HDL in here, but I think and hope that going in this other direction is a bold choice that will pay off. We shall see!

Anyway. As people noted in the comments last time, yes, obviously, these characters--José especially--are indeed well-rooted in Brazilian comics, especially. It's easy to see why, too; it's gotta be pretty cool to see a native son rise to prominence like that. But...I think it's still fair to say that, from the original movie, there's no particular reason, other than geographical interest, why these characters should be anything, and in any case, this cartoon is definitely introducing them to a new audience, so it has work to do. I'm not sure it quite has yet, but I'm optimistic.

RIGHT. So the warrior woman is "Zandra, Goddess of Adventure," and she takes our heroes off to do labyrinth stuff with a minotaur while she sits on a beach and gets quietly smashed on piña coladas. It's pretty fun (and I like the way the Three Caballeros theme appears as instrumental music while they're Learning To Work As A Team™). I must admit, I kind of zoned out when Zandra was presenting the backstory: I feel like it's sort of contrary to the spirit and honestly not that interesting to me to ground the Three Caballeros in actual...context, as opposed to the zany anarchism that they represented in the original. I suppose it was inevitable, though. It's okay! Maybe I'm still just high on the novelty, but I AM enjoying this, more than New Ducktales. We shall see what we see!

Oh, and more of Ari the Aracuan Bird, please! He is deeee-lightful, but we only get a small glimpse of him in this one.

16 comments:

  1. I love Jose in this. The character in general makes me think of Bing Crosby ^_^ Love that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several jokes worked for me, including: Panchito's explanation for why you can't "put a price on our destiny", the surprise of seeing Donald's second devil when you're expecting an angel, seeing the "everything must go!" sign right before the creature picks up Donald and takes off with him at the end. The Hidden Subterranean Vault with the Treasures of Our Ancestral Past beneath the cabana did remind me of The Old Castle's Other Secret!

    And there will be more of Ari in episode 5, yay!

    I'm liking both the look and the spirit of LTC more than New DuckTales, as well. Yes to everything folks have said about this being less ironic, more wholehearted. I have the feeling with New DuckTales that the writers think themselves superior to me in my attachment to the comix characters and in my wish for straightforward adventure and fun. That's not a good feeling to have while watching a cartoon. This may be a weird thing to say, but when I'm watching LTC I feel more respected, even when there's silliness. Is that just another of way of saying it's unironic? Vs. "we won't actually explore Atlantis because we're above all that." To be fair, though, as I've said, LTC isn't using characters other than Donald that I'm deeply attached to, so they're less likely to piss me off with unnecessarily obnoxious reboot-clones. But so far (episode 5), LTC feels like the adventure and warmth of the original DuckTales without the sentimentalism, sometime-dumbness or limited gender roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more way of saying the difference millennial irony makes: New DuckTales lacks a sense of wonder. Original DuckTales had that (when it wasn't stupid), and LTC has it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think "millenial" is the right word for it. I'm part of the generation they call "millenial" for some reason (even though we grew up in the '90s), and a lot of us can't stand shows that use that sort of smugness.

    I suppose you could compare it to Sonic the Hedgehog-style attitude, but somehow I don't think even Sonic would roll his eyes when it wasn't appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right. I'm either a very, very young gen-x-er or a very, very old millennial. It's hard to know. Or care. I'm just not quite sure what to call it. I mean, you know what I'm talking about. But what's a good term for it?

      Delete
  5. Ah good GeoX! A great birthday gift it is to realize you've been tackling this series. May you enjoy what it offers ya!
    Not to bring the good vibes down, but rather try and temper expectations; IMO the third episode is the weakest of those so far leaked; the fourth is an improvement, if not by a huge leap, and then the fifth picks up the pace, turning as good as this one eppie. And word has it among those who already saw the whole run, that the sixth episode is where things Really get going! Let's stay tuned and find out together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 3 more then episode 4 and maybe even 5.

      HAPPY BIRTHDAY btw :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks fellas!

      @Pan: I do think 3 improves in its second half for what's worth. 4 is alright, Xandra's a fun dork there. 5 has plenty of well paced lunacy (Ari!) and more focus on Donald's character, which is a personal drug. 6 just leaked and it's a winner! More in depth thoughts in later GeoX reviews.

      Delete
    3. Yhe! Just watched six and it's way better then 4 and 5. A lot of great visuals, action and music in this one... but I won't spoil it for good people of Duck Cartoons revue comment section. ;)

      Delete
  6. Concerning the look: as I said on Feathery Society, I'm kind of split. Legend of the Three Caballeros tries to emulate the look and designs of classic Disney animation, but it does so with what is actually a type of C.G.I. (ToonBoom). DuckTales 2017 goes for its own look (though as I said elsewhere, their intention is to mimick the 1960's Disney style, a la 101 Dalmatians, not make up something completely new), but it achieves it through actual hand-drawn animation, which is just a more flexible and artistic medium in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair new DuckTales is also ToomBoom. It's just more noticable with Legend of the Tree Caballeros since it's trying to have a classical look to it.

      Delete
    2. …no it's not? I mean, they use ToonBoom for some background stuff, but the main characters are hand-drawn. See this video.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac99DFWJiik

      Delete
    3. I think it's half and half. They use hand drawn for more complicated stuff but some of this is also ToonBoom.

      Delete
  7. Conseguem me mandar um link de algum site para assistir o episódio???

    ReplyDelete