Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Legend of the Three Caballeros, Episode One: "Dope-a-Cabana"


Okay, the latest Ducktales episode is forthcoming, but somehow, I felt it was more urgent to get on THIS. I feel like I'm going insane: I JUST THIS MINUTE PRACTICALLY hear about this Three Caballeros show, and now bam, here it is? Wha?!? And it's Philippines-exclusive for the time being? Guh? Well, it IS true that after a fulfilling day of executing drug users, I like nothing more to sit down to some Disney cartoons. That was an unfair thing of me to say. But it's too late, dernit.

So anyway, the extent to which I'm able to cover this show is really strongly dependent on the extent to which I'm able to illicitly find episodes online. But I DO have the first and second, thanks to tip-offs from Pan Miluś, so let's take a look, shall we?

As I may or may not have mentioned at some point in the past, I'm a big of fan of The Three Caballeros. Psychedelic craziness to the max. I don't have anything against contemporary Disney movies, in particular (though I will never stop mourning their abandonment of cel-shaded-style "2-D"), but it is entirely impossible to picture them making such a willfully experimental, almost avant-garde movie these days.

Just the same, you have to think: it's not as though anyone watching the movie is a huge fan of José Carioca (the days of calling him "Joe" seem pretty definitively over) or Panchito Pistoles. I mean, why would you be? The characters really aren't the point. So what's the use? Don Rosa wrote his caballeros stories on the basis that Donald needed friends, a laudable instinct I guess, but as characters themselves, per se? Questionable.

So here's what happens here: Donald alienates Daisy by standing her up and loses his job as a barber (spare that hair!) when he gives a bad haircut to a kid whose mother appears to be Pete in drag. And then his house burns down, no thanks to the zany firemen who do nothing but hit stuff with axes (which is actually pretty darned funny). Boy, life's tough all over, eh?

But then! He learns that his great-grandfather Clinton Coot(!!!) has died, and he's inherited property. Or co-inherited it with José and Panchito, for reasons that may become clear. Oh, and the manager is the ever-popular Aracuan Bird, referred to as, I think, "Ari." Also, April May and June are there. And a crazy warrior woman is summoned! To be continued.

Yup, the episode is basically just setting up. It's difficult, so far, to get much of a bead on the characters they've introduced. About all you can say is that José is kinda louche, Panchito is crazy, and Ari is crazier (but in a very appealing way, I thought). And April May and June...well, possibly similar to the nephews in new Ducktales, but I'm hoping with slightly less millennial snark. At first I thought, huh, it's pretty darned strange to have these three appear outta nowhere, but then I thought, why the heck NOT? But, even compared to the other new characters, they really, really do next to nothing here, so it's difficult to say anything definitive.

I actually liked this a lot. It's fun, and--so far, at least--it lacks the kind of obnoxious jokiness that you often get in New Ducktales. The novelty is fun, and the comix references (in addition to Clinton Coot, there's a picture of Donald's parents) feel less pandering than they do in that OTHER show. Let us hope that it receives a US release very soon.

15 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't expect you to review this, but I'm glad you did! I, actually, am a fan of José Carioca as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only seen the first two episodes but so far this cartoon feels like something out of the 90's Disney but in all best possible ways. The animation it top-notch with very plesant colors, there is little to no (now so tired) pop-cultural/current refrences and self-aware-cinical jokes but plenty of character base humor and visual comedy and the entire thing has a timless ring to it. It's embrace the spiirot of old Donald shorts. And I'm happy they are doing something new with Jose and Panchito and being true to their oryginal personalities. What makes thes two fun is how charismatic and plesant they are!

    There is a lack of cinicism to this cartoon that makes it very refreshing and enjoyable for me as an adult despite the fact that it isn't trying to appeal to older audiance (un-like the new Duck Tales that maybe tries a bit to hard with in-joke and being self-ironic).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen any episodes yet, but based on what I've heard, I'm really looking forward to it. Please, O Corporate Mouse, bring it to these shores! Or at least to iTunes! I'm pleased to hear about on-Rosa-model Clinton Coot and the pictured Hortense and Quackmore. I don't expect this or any cartoon show to fit smoothly into my comix headcanon, but it sounds like this one may be closer to the spirit I'd look for in a Duck cartoon show than New DuckTales. Adventures that do not need to be constantly undercut with self-aware irony. Yes, I hope April, May and June don't turn out to be snarky. As I said on Feathery, there's less danger here that the show will replace my much-beloved characters with podpeople (Gyro, Louie); I don't have a clear sense of what AMJ should be like (as opposed to HDL!), and it sounds like José and Panchito are going to align fairly closely with my assumptions about them. Also, I hear that the three Caballeros really will be mutually supportive friends, which will be nice to see.

    Presumably AMJ are undeveloped so far because their presence is just preparing the viewer for their place in the regular cast, while the first two episodes focus more on the Three Caballeros themselves. If AMJ are well developed over time, this could be a fine way to achieve more gender balance than most of the Duckworld can boast. Aided in this by Xandra, the Goddess of Adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, now I've seen the first two (Thanks, Pan!). In the first episode, I thought the barbershop bit did feel like a Brittle Mastery story, so that was fun to see! Also good to see the map of Duckburg with the Money Bin dominating the town. I liked the fact that the firefighters were Dalmatians. The episode works as a cartoon, slapstick and all, yet feels much closer in spirit to the adventurous comics than New DuckTales. Further comments will await your post on Part Two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have no idea how many fans of Panchito, José, and their dynamic with Donald there are. Remember that in Brazil, Zé Carioca is a main character on par with Mickey, who has a book to his name, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. José has lot of fans, he was regularly used in Brazil after all. Lot of fans are annoyed he doesn't have a brazilian voice actor in this and his accent is terrible...
    Both he and Panchito appear in Dutch comics too.
    But yeah? Apart from how José was treated, I?? like this? I have been very meh on the new DT. This is actually... nice to watch? feels genuine??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose in the show appears a mixture of what he was in old cartoons (very elegant, smooth talking character with plenty of class), what he was in Rosa stories (a Pepe Le Pew/Fancy-Fancy from "Top Cat" style lady man) and what he was in Brasilian stories from few that I read (a Wimpy-style moocher and a bit of a swindler/con-artist)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, when José mispronounces his own name you know they're not even trying. (Despite that though I'm liking the show okay too.)

      Delete
  8. Also, I was interested by the state of tech in the cartoon. In ep 2 when Xandra looks around to gauge the passage of time, it's all contemporary tech; but in ep 1 Donald and Daisy apparently rely on corded phones (Duckburg still has pay phone booths!). Perhaps Duckburg is caught in mid-to-late 20th century, and New Quackmore is more up-to-date? Or the creators will use whatever version of tech works for the joke, whether it's a reference to old cartoons or whatever. Duckburg isn't stuck in the 1950's, though; I think Donald's phone was a touchtone, not a dial phone.

    Yes, it's too bad they didn't use a Brazilian voice actor for José. That would have been a well-deserved nod to generations of Brazilian Disney comics fans, as well as good casting policy in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think in the age where you can talk on your cellphones via skype the Magic mirror to comunicate with people would be quite pointless... but its' more fun ;)

      Delete
    2. The "Schizo Tech" (as TVtropes calls it) seems to reflect pretty faithfully the tech level of modern Italian comics. Donald, Scrooge & Co. still have corded phones and 50's-ish cars, but they can pop on the net if the plot demands it.

      (Mind, I have corded phones; it's not all that implausible.)

      Delete
    3. I myself had working corded phones up until a month ago...but they were not all I had in the phone department! Donald and Daisy clearly do not have the option of cell phones, at least in that scene.

      Delete
    4. Actually, this show is kind of reminiscent of the Italian style of Disney Comics in general. It could probably work pretty well as one of the more fantasy oriented miniseries that sometimes come out.

      Delete
  9. Actually, Joe Carioca is a recurring character in the Dutch weekly comics magazine Donald Duck, so he is pretty well known in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete