Monday, May 28, 2018

New Ducktales, Season One, Episode Thirteen: "McMystery at McDuck McManor"


Duckworth was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. And so on. I don't know how to drag this gag out without it quickly getting boring.

But check it out: four episodes in four days! What a Herculean (Storkulean?) feat!

So there's a party for Scrooge but then he disappears what happened to him?!? And then his ghost butler appears. Well...granted, having both Duckworth AND Mrs Beakley was a bit redundant, I suppose. I have no strong feelings about this development.

I just feel like this episode was weirdly insubstantial. Like, for most of its runtime, it seemed like it was still revving up, and then you realize no, this is it, and then the Duckworth reveal seemed to make less impression than I felt like it should have. MOST ODD. I really don't have any strong feelings about this whole thing. But it was DEFINITELY twenty-two minutes. I will say that for it.

Okay, I'll admit that Mark Beaks isn't THAT bad. I mean, not compared to the competition, certainly. I thought it was kind of pointless weird and confusing to have the Beagle be named "Blackheart." I mean JEEZ, you try to pander to comics fans, but then you do things that are just kind of disorienting in the context of the comics. Blah, I say!

You know what I want them to do? Bring back Lena. Her plotline is really the only thing I'm at all invested in in this series, and it's been how long?

6 comments:

  1. No, no, no! He's name was Black ARTS Beagle! As in "Black ARTS" = sorcerery. I did like that character BTW.

    I'm suprised you didn't had more to say abou the episode.

    I think Duckworth characterisation was perfect, the bit about Scrooge buying Duckburg was interesting and... hum. Ok, so maybe even I don't have that much to say about it :P


    Also don't worry, the very next episode from what I read is Lena's story arc agian :) (unless they swich the order or something)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yhe, Beaks was more or less amusing here. I still think he's introduction episode was the shows biggest waste. The idea that Scrooge and Glomgold have a comon rival could be such an interesting idea to play with (and good way for potential character develompent for their relationship) yet they wasted in on bunch of "Glomgold is lame at being evil" gags.

    It could've been just like the time Joe Torcivia and GeoX put aside their legendary rivalry and team-up to bring down that new and trendy Disney comic bloger. Now THAT was memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we that much spoiled that we don't find completly different light palete beagle interesting? But it looked so cool and unique... you know unlike Beagle Boys who suppose to be the same.

      Outside of that I got tired of Duey being mute really quickly.

      Delete
  3. I liked this one, the banter between villains was pretty good even if I'm still kind of annoyed at how positively stupid Glomgold is (Ma Beagle seems very competent, but she never really got an episode to shine, and if they'd introduced Magica she easily could've replaced Black Arts).

    There's something off-putting about a butler serving a master even after death, but best not to think about that too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's exactly the sort of thing I like to think about, and I'm sort of embarrassed that I let that get by me. I think my sensitivity to ideology was blunted by my just being kind of bored.

      Delete
    2. I suppose that Scrooge loves the idea of having a ghost butler. Not only does he have his much-missed friend back, but he no longer has to pay him a living wage.

      Delete