Saturday, May 26, 2018

New Ducktales, Season One, Episode Eleven: "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System"


Well, I definitely didn't expect it to start by being an episode of Darkwing Duck, so points for that, I guess, with Quackerjack, Megavolt, and the water one whose name I don't remember because he was never much of a character robbing a bank. It's a bit jarring that the character designs aren't updated to match the outside show, but maybe that's supposed to be the point. Hard to say. Then, metaphysical tomfoolery as it turns out it's just a show Dewey's watching, and apparently in this world Darkwing is a character played by "Jim Starling." Very...something. Well, it's fine. I'm sure this will all be elaborated upon in the future. And if you thought "goodness, I wonder when they'll try to give Launchpad depth and also introduce Fenton and also bring back Mark Beaks cause why not I guess" then it's definitely the episode for you. Anyway, Launchpad has to race against Beaks' robot so as not to get replaced, and the robot, whose name I cannot be arsed to go back and look up but BUDDY is the acronym, turns evil and only Gizmoduck can save the day. WHOO HOO.

Yeah. The Launchpad stuff, where he wants to be appreciated and not fired and replaced with a robot, is all right, I guess. A bit too reminiscent of that bad original-ducktales space episode, but they steer clear of egregious dumbness in this one. Also, I really like Fenton and the way the two of them bond, although I must say, Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't make much of an impact. I mean, he's not bad or anything, but nor does it feel like there was any real reason for this stunt-casting. I like Hamilton fine, but I never would've known it was him if I weren't told. Also, I'm all for diversity and I don't object to the character having a Hispanic last name, but it does feel a bit arbitrary. Welp, let's hope they're able to use the character well in the future. He had some of the best episodes in the original show, so don't let us down!

What else? Gyro is, I guess, less objectionable than he was in his first appearance, though still not in any way similar to his original character. Mark Beaks is WHATEVER. The episode as whole was fine; I definitely liked it a lot better than the last one, even if my socks remain definitively in the on position.

9 comments:

  1. Liquidator is his name. B.U.D.D.Y. stands for Beaks Unmanned Driver-Drone (Yay!). Anyway, I'm glad to see you're apparently doing one-missed-episode-a-night schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. To be fair if the Darwking show (in the New Duck Tales universe) is ment to be no CGI and nothing but real stunts then they must had one hell of impressive practical effects, prope and makeup department to pull of Liquidator and his powers on the screen.

      Delete
  2. (Slow clap) Bravo Geox, Braaaavo! You survived The B.U.D.D.Y. System! You think it's all fun and games! But now let's see you face... THE MISSING LINKS OF MOONSHIRE!!!

    (Vanishes in mysterious mist while laughing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised the Launchpad stuff made so little impression on you, seeing as you were the one clamoring for the showwriters to finally remember he's not just a one-dimensional buffoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yhe, I think this episode did a terrific job of developing his personality and trades beyond "Homer Simpsonsish stupidity".
      Plus they finally made him a Crash-a-holic.

      I liked Beaks in this episode much more as he felt less "a bunch of hipster jokes" and more of an actuall treat to Scrooge as a rival.

      Delete
    2. I did like it. It just didn't sing in the deepest recesses of my soul. To be honest, it's probably because I'm slightly jaundiced about this whole endeavor, and it deserves more credit than I gave it.

      Delete