Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Darkwing Duck, Season One, Episode Forty-Five: "The Incredible Bulk"


Worth noting that in this episode, DW bursts in to harass Bushroot before he does anything villainous.  I suppose we're meant to assume that there's some sort of standing arrest warrant on the villains in this show, but we've certainly never seen any such thing before.  They're supposed to actually do something before they get DW'd.

The idea is that Bushroot's invented a special plant food that he uses to make giant, macho Daisy enforcers, which makes his pet man-eating plant Spike jealous. It's really not at all clear what he plans to do with these guys, but…there you go.  I guess he'll have to be stopped anyway.  And, as in "Planet of the Capes," said stopping involves plants and DW successively growing bigger with plant food (there's a subplot where DW, deciding that he relies too much on his intellect, decides to get tougher; this plays into that a bit).  I know I'm repeating myself here, but it really is kind of The Usual Thing.  Also, he finally defeats the main daisy by unleashing a giant bee on it.  C'mon, people--bees are good for flowers.  Why would this scare it?  Less dumbness, please!

Not so exciting, then, though there were a few Bushroot parts I liked: when the daisies are roughing some, uh, tea inspectors (or something), he protests: "Oh c'mon guys, you can't blame them just because tea is made of plants!"  Unusual clemency there; usually he's pretty hardline when it comes to plant stuff.  Also, at the end, he doesn't get caught; he escapes with Spike, remarking "what a disaster--oh well, at least I can depend on you, Spike ol' boy!"  I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it never did.  I've never seen a villain in this show get such a…heartwarming…conclusion before.  So that's fine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your reviews, but I feel like I can't comment since I barely have any memory of these episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Truth be told, it's pretty easy to understand how episodes like this would slip the mind.

    ReplyDelete