Friday, December 10, 2021

Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas

Okay, so at a certain point I'm going to link to this from my more active blog, and then everyone will know about it.  But I haven't done that yet!  I mean, as I write these words.  Eventually I will have and the words will remain the same.  But if you came across this entry before that, please tell me how.  You can't be obsessively checking this blog every day.  You have some sort of notification thing set up?  Tell me how it works.  Tell me!

Happy Holidays to all.  Initially, I had the idea to write about the stories in the Gemstone Twice Upon a Christmas book.  I was vaguely aware that there was also a Once Upon a Christmas, but I think I somehow assumed that Twice was comics-only.  But it's not!  Obviously.  Well, I figured if I want to write about those, I should start with this.  I wish there were a comic adaptation of this too for conceptual purity, but...that ain't the world we live in!  I'm not going to specifically write about the Twice Upon a Christmas film here, but I will see it so I can note any interesting divergences.

Well, we start with an unseen narrator (Kelsey Grammer, as it turns out) intoning some soupy Christmas doggerel.  He'll also reappear between segments, of which there are three, as follows:

"Stuck on Christmas"

It's Christmas in the Duck residence.  HDL get presents and their family members drop by and it's all fuzzy.  But then they're like, man, why can't it be Christmas all the time?  They're quite whiny about it, really.  And from there...it just turns into Groundhog Day.  I mean, obviously I knew from the beginning that it was influenced by Groundhog Day, but there are a lot of ways you can take that premise, and this wears its inspiration on its sleeve.  HDL are briefly gleeful about this Christmas-every-day thing, but then they grow increasingly haggard and desperate and start playing mean tricks on their relatives until repenting and realizing that they've gotta be more humanistic and create the best Christmas EVER.  So they make Donald a present: a sled with a boat bolted to it, which is what he's always...wanted?  Maybe?  Whatever.  It's enough to break the curse and they learn that Christmas really should only come once a year.

Oh, and there's also a few brief appearances by Chip and Dale, riding an electric train in their tree.

(Of course, the difference between this and Groundhog Day is that Bill Murray in that had clearly always been a jerk before he got his shot at redemption; HDL here are only jerks because the premise is driving them crazy.) 

I didn't love the character design here, especially HDL themselves:

Eh.  Kind of ugly.  Also, check out Scrooge:

Seriously, where does that design come from?  It's obviously not Ducktales, nor is it Uncle Scrooge and Money or Mickey's Christmas Carol.  Is there some source, or did they create a whole new design just for this movie?  Crazy.

I was also briefly confused because, wait, what's Mrs. Beakley doing here, albeit for some reason with blond hair?  Is this in Ducktales continuity?  But then why don't HDL live with Scrooge?  It took me a little while to realize this was a different character.  You have to admit, they DO look similar.  Also, I might've been a bit stoned.  But no!  She is a character named Aunt Gertie, who--this kind of boggles me--has only ever appeared in this movie.  Not reused for anything!  Seems wasteful!  If you're not trying to establish her as a recurring character, you might as well just have used Grandma.

Well anyway!  Art issues aside, this is more or less all right.  The Groundhog Day premise is used so often because it's a very good premise.  I won't say this is the best possible version of itself, but I have seen so much worse out of Disney television animation, so I should probably just take it.  I don't know if I can extend the same courtesy to 

"A Very Goofy Christmas,"

however.  This is only a few minutes longer than "Stuck on Christmas," but I swear, it felt absolutely endless.  This is that slightly alien continuity where Goofy has a son (!), Max.  I have never, ever said a single word about Max 'til now.  He is very aggressively segregated into the animated side of the Disneyverse.  If I have anything to say, I think I'll save it 'til we get to his story in Twice Upon a Christmas.  Here he's a generic kid with a hint of that irritating nineties "attitude."  It starts where oh no, Max's letter to Santa wasn't mailed, so let's have a moderately boring slapstick sequence as he and his pa try to right this wrong.  But then: Pete--that Serpent in the Garden!--poisons Max' ears with terrible stories of Santa's non-existence.  Do you think this story is going to be a profound meditation on faith?  Well...I guess that remains to be seen.  Goofy assures his son that Santa is real, which briefly reassures him until he starts thinking about it.  His faith is almost restored when Goofy appears in a Santa suit, but then he is crushed when the mask accidentally comes off (apparently the fact that his voice was identical to Goofy's wasn't a giveaway).  So now he becomes an angry nihilist and Goofy tries to appease him in vain.  Finally, Goofy gets all depressed and Max in turn dresses as Santa to try to cheer him up.  So they're reconciled, and then the real Santa finally appears, and gives Max his desired gift (a snowboard, for an unmistakable taste of nineties raditude).  And finally, Santa fucks the shit out of Pete's house by blasting snow all over it to punish him for his unbelief, and Pete does not receive his desired gifts, "a squirty gun and a yo-yo."  How old IS this Pete, anyway?

There you have it.  As indicated above, I found this whole thing incredibly tedious.  Maybe it's just because I have no affection for Max nor--as portrayed here--Goofy, but their dumb problems interested me not one bit.  One bit, you hear!  God knows what this'll do to little kids who still believe in Santa.  The fact that he's revealed to be real in the end still could be a bit of a shock to someone who's never even thought that of "is Santa real?" as a relevant question.  Well...I don't care.  For which I don't apologize!

"Mickey & Minnie's Gift of the Magi"

Well, the title gives away the conceit.  In this version, Mickey has a harmonica that he pawns for a chain for Minnie's heirloom watch, and she gets him a harmonica case by...well, you know.  Actually, it's a bit badly balanced, as we don't even see Minnie pawn the watch; this isn't really her show.  But it happens!  Apparently!  Here she's working in a department store, and her boss is Mortimer.  Wak!  She and Mickey are both economically on the edge here.  

Mickey has work--only seasonal, one would assume--at Pete's Christmas tree lot.  Is this the same Pete as in the Goofy cartoon?  He actually plans on making enough money to just buy the watch chain, but when he stops Pete from cheating a family, he takes it out of his salary.  Also, he plays some music with a band, but that's more or less irrelevant.  He ends up doing the thing, and okay, we all know how this comes out; blah.

But actually, this one was all right.  Not a staggering work of genius or anything, but I'd readily call it the best of these three.  I think the characters are portrayed pretty well, and I think the idea of Mickey with a harmonica is a good one.  Happy Christmas I GUESS.

Actually, one thing I like about all three of these is the use of public domain Christmas music.  Obviously they're just doing it 'cause it's free but I'd say it contributes to the feel.  Ya.

11 comments:

  1. HA! I was checking out your Comic blog are there any new reviews and for the first time in like a year I had the impuls "Bah, I will check Geox Cartoon blog, maybe there is something new I missed, like review of season 2 and 3 of Duck... WHAAAAAAA!?" It's a Christmas Miracle! (Well, maybe it would be a bigger one if I'll check it three days ago and be on the same day you published THIS, but still)

    Scrooge's design is more or less the same design which was used in his two apperances in "Mickey Mouse works" shorts (interesting enough that in them he was only use in episodes that where adaptations of literaly work, among them he plays the villian in "Around the world in 80 days" which is interesting to see Scrooge used as villian acting in a way you would expect to see Rockerduck )

    Yes, yes Aunt Gertie was always an odd tihng. My guess they wanted to have a family member that's ANNOYING to HD&L (and I guess visualy diffrent then the rest since this is aniamtion and contrast like this work the best for comedy). At this point the only known family members from the comics introduced in ainmation where Grandma Duck (who appeared in "It's your life Donald Duck" + cameo in Christmas Carol), Gus (in old short) and Gladstone Gander (in his few apprances in DuckTales)... oh and of course Von Drake, who "Mickey Mouse Works" did use all the time. But perhaps he is use so much more as "wacky inventor" (In fact I'm almost sure in those shorts it was rare for them to call him Donald's uncle but I can be wrong) It could just slip their mind he is part of the family. My guess they wanted "large aunt" trope to make it... relatabe... question mark.

    Still, while I sort of get it, it was sort of what always puzzled me about those shorts where you have such gigantic comic book lore to pick and chose from and yet you will go and just introduce new characters. The new CGI Mickey Mosue show "Mickey Mix-up adventures" (which is literaly aimed at toddlers mind you) had an episode where Donald's Uncle apperas and he is this generic annoying uncle, little fat guy with a beared who embarrasses Donald by showing his baby picturers, screwing things up etc. and Donald has to learn to acept your relatives flaws or some deep life leason like that... and It's all fine but while watching this I was like - Why not just make it Scrooge or Von Drake... or heck or Gladstone or Fethry (Actualy the way characters act he could been easly re-writen as a low-key version of Rumpus McFlow) But I don't think you can expect the writers of the show to be all die hard comic book fans and as far cartoon goes only Scrooge and VonDrake are reacurring family members people will recognise. And while it would propably took 5 minutes on DinseyWiki to see what OTHER family members Donald have they can use... it would be sitll them writing about character they don't know, so maybe just creating new one is for the better.

    Well, ok, the writers of new DuckTales are clearly are VERY familiar with the lore but as far introducing NEW family members to the world of animation they only introduced Fethry (who was fine in my opinion, it's just he felt like missing link between their Lunchpad and Fenton so there wasn't that much that makes him stand out) and Matilda McDuck (but she had very little to do with comics version) But seeing how many characters they already had on the show and friends = family on that show... It is understandable.


    Any way, nice to see your thouths on this movie. I persinaly enjoy it and found it charming (I personaly dig the Goofy segment) but nice to hear how you see it. As far Disney characters we know and love Christmas specials go I would also recomedn "Mickey Mouse : Duck the Holes", even if I know the wacky humor of the new Mickey Mouse shorts isn't up your alley, but I think you will enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I understand your dislike of Goofy and Max at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The segment "Stuck on Christmas" is based on the short story "Christmas Every Day" written by William Dean Howells in 1892...so, well before "Groundhog Day." In that story (which has a frame of a father telling the story to his daughter, a frame which breaks in after the first, rejected ending as well as returning at the end), the whole country is put under the spell and everyone is aware that it's happening. The girl who makes the wish doesn't really go through the Groundhog Day/Stuck on Christmas descent into bad behavior and eventual redemption. She, like everyone else, just gets increasingly sick of it all. My favorite line from the story: "at the end of a week's time so many people had lost their tempers that you could pick up lost tempers anywhere; they perfectly strewed the ground."

    I like Mickey's harmonica-playing quite a lot, but child-me always disliked "Gift of the Magi" because I wanted a Christmas story to end happily, and the demonstration of the sacrificial nature of one's partner's love was not happy enough for me!

    "A Very Goofy Christmas" would have worked slightly better if they had made up a son for Pete who was Max's age. It would make the whole "bully tells kid Santa is not real" plot more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the idea of Pete son woudn't click with the fans, since Pete has well established son in Animated Goofy-universe named P.J. (Pete Junior) - appearing in "Goofy movie", it's sequel and "Goof Troop" show [these movies are somewhat conected by Max character who we see at diffrent ages]

      Unlike Pete P.J. is nice (and a bit neurotic) and is best friends with Max.

      Delete
    2. So him being a bully would be very off-character at this point, as well introducing some new kid of Pete's.

      Delete
    3. OK, so they should have just made up a neighbor kid who's a bit of a bully (but not so much of a bully that Max would reject anything he said). I think the message that Santa isn't real would be more convincing from another kid, who would say s/he has seen through the attempt of adults to pull one over on us kids, than it would be coming from a random grown-up who isn't even a nice person. I find it hard to believe that Max would pay any attention to Pete's ideas about Santa Claus.

      Delete
    4. Let's not forget Max is ment to be like six in this. In other cartoons he is older (even a young adult in some) so he clearly wise-up to Pete's nature but at this point I buy he is naive and unaware. In fact in most of those Goofy and Max stories Goofy is presented as totally blind to what jerk Pete is and always interpreted his mean-spiritness whit the best intentions... which is sort of off-character that Goofy's reaction when Max tells him Pete told him there is no Santa, is "Oh, that explain everything" type of reaction. Goofy from "Goof Troops" or even "Goofy movie" would have more of a "PETE DOSEN'T BELIVE IN SANTA!? Now that's just silly" reaction.

      Delete
  4. Of course, since the "descent into bad behavior and eventual redemption" arc is indeed reminiscent of Groundhog Day, it's probably fair to say that was a direct inspiration. So I'm only saying the idea of the child's wish to have Christmas every day being fulfilled with a very unfortunate result--that does go back to the 1892 story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end credits of for the "Stuck on Christmas" segment of "Once Upon a Christmas" actually do read "Story inspired by 'Christmas Every Day' by William Dean Howells."

      Delete
    2. This remind me - I so love the remix of "Deck the Hall" during the credits by SheDaisy (even if I have to wonder was the band was picked by Disney base on the name)

      Delete
  5. Will you finish reviewing Ducktales lol

    ReplyDelete