Sunday, August 13, 2017

New Ducktales, Season One, Episode One: "Woo-oo!"

Chris Barat, thou shouldst be living at this hour. All New Ducktales reviews are dedicated to your memory.

My thoughts on this are extremely scattered. I don't know that I can provide a coherent critique. That said, THIS:


Now...there's just no use quibbling here; from this image, you can see how much the producers care about cramming obscure duck lore and history into this show (if anyone wants to speculate in comments as to what some of the more obscure stuff means, feel free). My initial fear was that it would kinda look like a copy of a copy--ie, Original Ducktales (OD) is based, sort of, on Barks; New Ducktales (ND) is based mainly on...OD. That's not nearly as interesting to me! But this shows that they really, really care, and regardless of the execution, they have to get a shitload of points for that. Right. So. I have various opinions and observations about the episode, so I will share them in scattershot form.

-By the end of the episode, it had become slightly less jarring that HDL talk like regular adults. But...only slightly. I dunno. I don't think I'm ever going to be totally sold on this. Also--and this is my biggest problem with the show as a whole--their sort of breezy, bantery, millenial-irony-ish dialogue...well, it's not exactly bad or poorly executed. It's just that...well, maybe I've just watched too many MCU movies, but I feel like it's a bit played out; a bit creatively fatigued. I mean, I guess I shouldn't complain too much; we can't forget how utterly fucking dreadful the writing in the original show could be. Maybe it just needs to find its groove a bit. Whatever. It's fine, I guess. Although I really must note that they very clearly refer to their uncles as uncle. Someone needs to have a quiet word with the voice actors about that.  As Joe Torvicia notes, the same thing appears in the first ND comic.  Surprisingly sloppy, given how careful they're trying to be to honor the duck legacy.

-Also re HDL, unlike OD, ND makes a very clear point of giving them the traditional nomenclature--Huey Red, Dewey, Blue, Louie green. I know they're trying to give them at least somewhat distinct personalities, but I think it's gonna take a few episodes for this to really coalesce.

-Webby: even though the above complaint re dialogue also applies to her, she's a <i>whole</i> fucking lot better than you could ever fuckin' have imagined based on the original. Again, this does illustrate the amount of care that went into the whole thing: the producers realized that Webby was an awful, condescending sop to a putative female audience, and they made damn sure they would not make that mistake again. She's a much stronger character, and the episode is refreshingly devoid of any of the boy/girl fight stuff in OD. I like.

-Donald: I'll be thrilled if he takes a bigger role in this series, as seems likely. I do have a pretty big complaint, though, which seems like a small thing but isn't: if he's gonna be around a lot and do a lot of talking, they should really make his voice clearer. I mean, maybe you are so acclimated to Donaldspeak that it's totally lucid to you, but I sure ain't and it sure ain't to me. Yeah, it's similar to how he sounded in the old cartoons, but in those, he didn't talk that much, and it wasn't really important to fully understand most of what he said. In those same vintage shorts, HDL talked more or less the same as Donald did; wisely, the producers of OD realized that this wasn't really tenable in a show that relied on them talking a lot and being understood, and so we got the pretty-good compromise we did. I'm not saying Donald's voice needs to be quite that clear, but I really wish it were a bit clearer.

-Glomgold: He sure is short and round. Given how much care they've taken to provide bait for classic comics fans, I'm almost surprised they didn't let him go back to being South African. Just "almost," though. It would obviously be a pretty hard sell; even if you assume for the sake of argument that the apartheid associations are no longer an issue, how do you indicate "South African" to a wide American audience via quick short-hand? Not too easy. Also, I'll admit it's kinda funny that the two characters vying for a surprisingly specific title both just happen to be Scottish. In either case, though, the character's pretty bland and doesn't make much of an impression beyond "generic baddie."

-Mrs. Beakley: They're clearly trying to toughen her up in the manner of Webby, but she doesn't do much to establish herself as a character here. I don't think her name is even used. Hmmm.

-Launchpad: Pretty much perfect, I must say. The only question is whether the show will remember that in the early days of OD, Launchpad had hidden depths, or if they'll just stick with his sole character trait being "dumb." That would be a bit disappointing.

-Scrooge: is the big one, of course. But honestly, I don't have that much to say. They begin with a sort of light riffing on "The Richest Duck in the World," where he's seeing Donald for the first time in a long time and HDL for the first time ever, only the explanation is pretty light: "Family is nothing but trouble." Okay! I dunno; he seems basically fine.

-There's not that much point in talking about the plot, I think; it feels more like a proof-of-concept--here's the kind of thing we're going to do!--than a fleshed-out thing in itself. The Atlantean ruins are certainly more thought-out than most of what you'd've seen in OD, though.

-Characters we're looking forward to seeing: Fenton, Magica, Daisy (probably?), Goldie (probably?), Gyro, Gladstone, Von Drake (HOPEFULLY!!! SERIOUSLY GUYS PLEASE DO THIS I WANT IT SO BADLY), Cinnamon Teal (GREAT IDEA!!!), the Phantom Blot (likewise!), Bubba.

-Character whose return I'm vaguely curious about but really don't care much about either way: Duckworth.

-C'mon...you didn't think I was <i>serious</i> about that Bubba thing, do you? Let's hope the producers realize that NO ONE LIKES BUBBA and let his long retirement continue unabated. I'll accept a one-shot appearance if they MUST, but that's all.

-Given how concerned they are that we know that they know the comics, one can easily imagine a surprise appearance by someone like Rockerduck or Brigitta.

-And speaking of Daisy, as much as it pains everyone to hear Quack Pack mentioned, the one good thing about it was Daisy, so it would be cool to see that version of the character. As we all know, Donald and Daisy's relationship is often fraught in ways rife with dubious gender politics, so it would be REAL nice if they did this right.

-Oh, THE ART STYLE. Well, it's a clear artistic choice. I do find the ducklings' rectangular heads a little peculiar, but they're doing them, and I could certainly grow to like it very much.

-Yeah, so that's that. I kind of wish the kids were more kiddish, but that is my only major complaint...a big one, admittedly, but I'll definitely keep watching. SOMEONE has to keep an eye on these people! If they play their cards right, they will definitely have a superior show to OD.

-Oh yeah, and that ending. I dunno, people. I know how eager you are to polish your duckfan bona fides, but don't you think teasing Della RIGHT THE HELL THERE in the first episode is a bit precipitous? Also, let's face it, as much as I basically liked this episode...I don't think you've quite earned that yet. Let's wait 'til we've seen if you can keep this up.

-Donald has a smartphone; Scrooge has an old clamshell thing (and I'm not quite sure what that thing Webby has is). I can't tell if this was a conscious choice or not. You'd think having a high-tech phone would be essential for Scrooge's business, but this may be one of those penny-wise-pound-foolish things.

-"Family truly is the greatest adventure of all OH NO THE GROUND"

"Even a basic death trap still has the word 'death' in the title."

50 comments:

  1. Ooh! I forgot to mention Doofus! There's another character that nobody wants to ever, ever see again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yhe, if I had to pick between him and Bubba I will go with Bubba... no joke.

      Delete
    2. At one point in the scene in the garage, there are a pair of ancient, fossilized skeletons that look like Bubba and his pet triceratops. Also, the head of Armstrong the robot, the lamp from the movie, and a giant Golden Sun coin.

      Delete
    3. HOLLY WAK! That truly might be an Bubba in-joke. The sceleton dosen't look much like Buba but the fact he is standing next to a triceratops is to much of a coincidence...

      Delete
    4. Bad news: Doofus is going to be in the show.

      Interesting news: Apparently he's going to be one of the villains?

      (Source: video of the writing staff room where you can see several of the show's characters, grouped into "main characters" "recurring characters" "villains" and so forth... and Doofus is listed with the villains.)

      Delete
    5. Geez, Doofus the walking fat joke...WHY?!? Though admittedly, the idea of him as a villain is bizarre enough to peak my curiosity.

      Delete
    6. Yeah, I'll admit that it threw me off a bit too. Maybe we're looking at a tragic story of a poor guy that nobody liked, who finally decided he'd had enough of being treated like a walking fat joke and that he'd get back at the world?

      Delete
  2. 1) Goldie is among characters they shown desings for however they re-tooled her character a bit in a way I won't dare to spoil ^_^

    2) During Q&A the creators did mention that Von Drake will be in the show (!) and will be voice by the same voice actor who voice him on the old DT and Quack Pack.

    3) They also mentioned Duckworth will be on the show.

    4) I love that they updated Webby at the same time I was concern that she will be so chaged from the oryginal that there will be no point of still having her be named Webby (plus in promotional clip made her look to much like copy of Mabel from "Gravity Falls") but something about the second half, especialy scene with her Granny at the end made her feel more like the oryginal but in a good way. Anyway I like the new take so far.


    5) "Rockerduck Estate' is seen on the map of DuckBurg (a promotional thing) so my guess is there will be a lot of hat eating in the future...

    6) As for Glomgolds new looks, from my expiriance it works better in animation when character designs are as deverse from each other and Donald and Scrooge already have the same exact body type so I get why they wanted to change other duck characters. It's easy for him to be just Scrooge with beard. I do love the fact that he is trying not only out-rich Scrooge but also out-Scootish him.

    7) I don't think they used her first name but Scrooge do refer to her as Beakley few times.

    8) GEOX!!! You made me google the word "precipitous"! Wow, I'm learning something as I'm entertained! You are a good english teacher! Anyway - I think that Della thing was clever and in a way they are showing they wan't to actually use to the show to explore something that was a mystery for decades and beyond what old show would do so it will be more then some basic treasure hunting hijinx. The comics fans will go "HOLLY SHIT! THEY WILL TELL US WHAT HAPPENED WITH DELLA? I'M HOOKED!" and non-comics fans but familiar with the cartoons will go "HD&L HAVE A MOM!? I JUST ASUMED DONALD JUST GROWN THEM IN VON DRAKES LAB OR SOMETHING! I'M HOOKED!" However being a person who watch a lot of modern cartoons (and I mean a lot!), I can tell right now that most likley they will whait tree or four episodes before we get any more information. It's kind of what they do now - havning each episode be indyvidual story/adventure but trying it with some "mystery" that hang in the air to make things feel biger. Some do it well. "Gravity Falls" (which has some STRONG Ducktales influances) and "Steven Universe" basicaly half of premise is teasing the fuck out of viewers. Heck, even "Tangled - the animated series" which is mostly made of basic "propblem of the day", sitcom (only set in medival time) simple stories had to ended the first episode with a big "Shit will go down soon" ending... and the season is in like episode ten and they aren't paying it of in any way. But to be fair here it fits a show that's about "solving mysteries and re-writing histories". I'm exited where they will go with this. Maybe they planing to tell that one story Rosa didn't do...

    9) As much I do love this pilot... there where some parts where I was bother by the colors in the background (especialy all that dark blue in ruins and gray in the sub) It made me appriciate how viusaly richer the oryginal was but at the same time it's my only complain, it was all great.

    10)...oh, and Scrooge money level in the bin appears to be a bit low. I always though of the bin as this gigantic think, this looks like a avrage pool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "We'll wait" not "Will whait" of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the topic of Glomgold, the producers have stated that actually, he is South African — he just pretends to be Scottish as yet another way to take Scrooge's place. Which is why his accent and dress are so exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of this from the begining. Why would you add to an... ad Title like being "Scottish"? Only to be compared to Scrooge of course. I hope writers has figure out more interesting backstory of those two rivals than Rosa(I mean it was ok as concept but IMHO it was the weakest chapter of L&T)

      Delete
    2. That...is such a bizarre idea that my brain is unable to process it at this time.

      (Though I would note one issue, which is that this is a cartoon and kind of exaggerated by definition--in that context, it's difficult to tell what's meant to be exaggerated in the already exaggerated world. Exaggerated.)

      Delete
    3. @Geox — On the natural exaggeration of cartoons… good point, I guess, but on the Feathery Society forum, we discussed at some length how Scrooge's Scottish accent was realistic (as it should well be, being that Tennant is, in fact, Scottish, like Young was before him) in comparison to Glomgold's cartoonish one (by a markedly non-Scottish voice actor).

      Delete
    4. Oh, Geox it's as simple as a blue tiger that is two blue tigers... Just imagine ^_^

      Delete
  5. The one and only thing that bugged me in this pilot... ok there are two things. 1) It was obviously going to be two different episodes but writers were forced to make them into one at the last minute. 2) Focus of both episodes were on characters... which doesn't seem bad until you notices that goal of their adventures is afterthought. Whole Atlantis from second half is barely explained so characters are not that interested of what is going on in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaay! Another Polish person! HURRAH!

      Delete
    2. The episode was mainly to introduce the characters, setup and the basic concepts... but yhe, the treasure hunt was a bit generic, but it wasn't the focuse of the pilot.

      Delete
  6. I thought the Atlantis half of the episode (pretty sure it was originally going to be episode 2) was kind of awkward. They focused A LOT on Dewey for some unknown reason, like the writers felt a strange urge to give just him and Scrooge a character arc, but could only do it in 15 minutes.
    I mean, why Dewey and not the other nephews too? It was very weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asume each one will get his own episode bonding with Scrooge in the future.

      Delete
  7. They declared that there will be Goldie (her look was already revealed, so she will be an important character) and also Von Drake, concerning whom they gave us some kind of spoiler (if you want to read it go on): there will be an episode set in the past, something like the 60's, when Scrooge was still making his fortune. And in this episode Von Drake will be his inventor sidekick (kinda like a "past Gyro").

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, when specifically asked in some forum panel (sorry, I cannot find the link) one of the guys at the head of the project, Angones, said that he was trying to think of some way to arrange cameos of the Duck Avenger and of Fethry Duck, in future seasons I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll just say this here: maybe I would've gotten this from the show if I'd been paying attention, but I wasn't; it was only reading the first issue of the ND COMIC that I realized that in this version, Huey's the ONLY nephew who's supposed to be a Junior Woodchuck. That's his "personality trait." And Louie's always scheming to get money, and Dewey...not quite sure, but let me just say, I am SO NOT FUCKING DOWN WITH THIS. Honestly...as many things as there are to like about this show, I think--and it kinda breaks my heart to say it--that the depiction of the nephews might flat-out ruin it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the fact that it's a terrible decision to age up and differentiate the nephews like that, though they do execute it much better than Quack Pack did. On Dewey, as shown in the pilot, his personality is that he's a "miniature Scrooge wannabe" — sort of a non-annoying Doofus who'd fixate on Scrooge rather than Launchpad. He's a big fan of Scrooge before meeting him but quickly spurned that Scrooge considers him a worthless amateur at the adventuring business, which he is (but he refuses to admit it).

      Delete
    2. There is something more, even if we cannot still say it for sure from just the pilot. According to me, the writers decided to give Huey the WHOLE "comics characterization" of the nephews. Indeed, notice that Huey is not just the only JW. He's also the less exuberant nephew, and he seems to alternate insecurity/childish fear and JW-like hyper-wisdom, like in Barks's comics. Moreover, he is the ONLY ONE dressed as in comics. I mean, they are trying to put it in our faces. This can be read in the Geox's view of "they want us to know that they know the comics". As if the ND writers were saying to comics fan "here is ONE of yours nephews, just to show you that IF we wanted we could have given you want you conceive as canonical HD&L!".

      As concern me, I like all the three of them so far. Even the voice, honestly. (But I am not a fan of the OD.)

      Delete
    3. To be fair in the show they only briefly refrence Junior Woodchucks so far. Maybe the other two are still Woodchucks members, only Dewey is the only one who's super into it.

      Delete
    4. As GeoX notes, the comic makes it quite explicit that Huey is the only Junior Woodchuck, sigh.

      Delete
    5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PgkLg_jFY

      Well, at least he's a good Woodchuck...

      Delete
    6. I realise I'm in the minority, but I'm actually totally on board with making the Nephews separate and distinct characters. The entire "identical triplets who share a personality and speak/act as one single character" thing never really sat well with me.

      Heck, it's one reason why I didn't mind Quack Pack. (Aside from the fact that Quack Pack had the best-characterised Daisy ever, that is.) Yeah, the kids' entire "Kool Kids" schtick was cringeworthy, and the fact that they called Donald "Uncle D"... yeeeeah. But at least it tried to make them individuals.

      Delete
    7. I don't mind differentiating between the nephews somewhat, but being Junior Woodchucks is core to their identity, and I simply CANNOT accept the idea that two of them aren't. Not that anyone who matters cares what I can or can't accept.

      Delete
    8. It's still time for them to join... ;)

      Delete
    9. There's been so many different incarnations of the boys, with the Junior Woodchuck thing coming and going -- they definitely weren't Woodchucks in most of their animated appearances, for instance -- that I suppose that I just don't look at the Junior Woodchuck thing as essential to their characters. Sometimes they are Junior Woodchucks, sometimes they aren't.

      The idea that only one of them is a Junior Woodchuck IS something we haven't seen before, but I don't really think it's a violation of their character. It's more like a tweak for this particular show.

      Granted, if you're of the opinion that they should either all be Junior Woodchuck or none of them should be, then I can't really say much to convince you otherwise. We just have some different criteria for what's essential to the characters. ^_^*

      Delete
    10. I just seen some articles where some dude called "Quack Pack" 90's reboot of DuckTales... Oh, the chilss down my spine...

      Delete
    11. I think Quack Pack had its moments, but it had nothing whatsoever to do with Ducktales in any form.

      Delete
    12. Yhe, it had Ok gags but felt like cravtive downgrade compering to DuckTales... just basic wacky scenarios with Donald and the boys (Who are now anoying with how "cool" they trying to make them) They at least could thrown in Scrooge or Gladstone as ocasional gueststars. VonDrake appeared in the pilot and was refrence in one more episode and that is it...

      Delete
    13. It's like - what the point of seting it in Duckburg if you won't going to take advantage of the hudge cast of interesting and fun characters.

      Delete
  10. Yes, the differentiated nephews are going to be the main thing that puts this DuckTales firmly in the "Alternate Universe Not the Real Duckworld" category for me. Whether they actually keep me from enjoying the show...that remains to be seen. Their differentiation will continually irritate me, though.

    Here's Angones: "If Huey has Scrooge’s brains, Dewey has Scrooge’s guts, and Louie has Scrooge’s love of treasure, Webby has Scrooge’s heart." So Huey is the planner, Dewey the adventurer, Louie the money-grubber. Some of that was evident in the premiere. Louie, the "evil triplet," was tagging all the treasures he hoped to inherit. Huey had planned the road trip, including team T-shirts and sea shanties the others weren't happy about. Dewey got Scrooge's blessing at the end as an adventurer, though he showed more daring than smarts when he danced through the light-beam traps (saved only by Donald's intervention).

    The oddest rationale for their differences is given as birth order: “Since everyone always says ‘Huey, Dewey, and Louie’ in that exact order, we decided to make that the birth order, and by defining that, we were able to assign traits that fit,” says executive producer Matt Youngberg. “So, Huey’s the oldest, a little more responsible, a little bit brainy. Dewey wants to stand out, and wants to break out of being labeled as just one of a set of three. And Louie is happy being the youngest child — he can slip under the radar.” That's just silly. Birth order doesn't lead to those sorts of personality differences in triplets, for gosh sakes. There have to be years in between the kids' ages for those kinds of differences to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way, I find it a bit ironic that Beakley says to Webby at the end that she'll be as safe adventuring with Scrooge as she would be at home (or whatever it is exactly she says), given that Dewey, NOT prevented by Scrooge, would have doomed them all had Donald not intervened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Beakley doesn't know that, does she? She has no idea how Dewey and Scrooge would interact in an adventuring field. She only knows how it used to be when it was her, Scrooge, Della and Donald.

      Delete
    2. Yes, well, isn't that precisely what irony means? That the character doesn't realize the full significance of her/his comment, but the audience/reader does. I don't know whether the writers meant the line to be ironic, but I think it *was* ironic.

      Delete
  12. Yeah I enjoyed it more than I thought I would considering I have no much love for Ducktales (nothing really against it either just a major comics fan) but...
    Glomgold. I can see how he is an evolution of the 80's DT Flinty so if i cared about that show I'd probably like it but as I was always bothered by the Scottish thing and the idea of Flinty as an inferior copycat it's...
    Maybe I'll enjoy him as his own character but as far as I'm concerned real Flinty is in South Africa and a victim of identity theft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Interesting how people can have different opinions. This episode was the first and so far only time I've found myself actually LIKING Flintheart Glomgold. The original comic book character never interested me much at all, neither under Barks' or Rosa's pen -- or anyone else's for that matter. Not to mention the Flintheart of the old DT cartoon; He was just... kinda there.

      This new Flintheart is almost a completely separate character, but in my eyes that's not a bad thing. Watching the show I was like "yeah, I could come to enjoy this guy if he shows up in more episodes!" Something I haven't said about ANY incarnation of Flintheart before.

      Delete
  13. Oh! I forgot to mention it, but Mrs. Beakley's name IS mentioned on the show, by Scrooge. He calls her "Beakley," twice.

    First time is just after the boys bombard him with questions, he shouts "BEAKLEY!" Second time is when he gets stuck in the diver's suit, just after his rant about never needing anyone's help; then he says almost in the same breath: "Beakley, a little help?"

    Donald calls her "Mrs B," which indicates a certain familiarity (and it probably helps that the word "Beakley" is impossible to pronounce in Donald-speak) and Webby calls her "Granny."

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one problem with the Atlantis is that they could set up the actual treasure a bit better. Like dedicate just few lines (BEFORE the treasure hunt) why the jewel is special and build some neat mithology/mystery around it.

      Here we don't know what actually they looking for Atlantis before Glomgold mention it is his goal and it's just some big gem that didn't felt any more special that all the gold and treasure around it.

      I don't have same problem with the boys as most of people here, even If I would prefer they all where Woodchucks, even If only one would take it seriously.

      Delete
    2. Man, I LIKED this comment. I thought it made an interesting criticism I hadn't heard before. Why delete it?

      Delete
    3. I no longer remember exactly what I wrote, or why I deleted it.

      Delete
  15. Actually, on one article, the creators of the reboot implied Glomgold is actually South African, but is pretending to be Scottish in order to outdo Scrooge.

    In short, he is a South African-pretending-to-be Scottish duck

    ReplyDelete